Today marks the 71st anniversary of the start of Operation Barbarossa which was the codename of Hitler’s invasion of Russia. The war on the eastern front during World War II was the largest clash of man and machine in the history of the world, it was the most important theater of operations of the war. I am not here to diminish what the western allies did during World War II ( it was significant), but contrary to what you have been taught or led to believe by Hollywood America did not win the war in Europe all by itself, or even do the majority of the fighting against Hitler. That honor would fall to Russia, and it is through the deaths of the many millions of Russian soldiers that Hitler was ultimately defeated. Here are some facts and figures about the war on the eastern front that help put it into perspective.
1. 80% of all German combat deaths came on the eastern front
2. 13,600,000 Russian soldiers died fighting the Germans
3. Approximately 2,500,000 Germans died on the eastern front
4. More Russians died in the Siege of Leningrad than did all Americans and British for the entire war.
5. The Battle of Kursk was the largest tank battle in history with a total of 3,600 tanks in action.
6. Nearly 80% of all Soviet male children born in 1923 were killed during the war.
|Country||Military Deaths||Civilian Deaths||Total|